Monday, September 6, 2010

Lady Sing The Blues So Well.

Before I begin on my main subject for this blog, I'll tell you what made it spring to mind. You see, I've made a decision. I've decided that having a fringe over my face in summer in Queensland is just not going to happen. Spring has barley sprung and already it's giving me grief, making me wish I was bauld. BUT DON'T WORRY, I'm not shaving my head. No, I'm just growing out my fringe until the weather cools again to fringe appropriate weather. But enough about me, let's talk about somebody much more interesting, like REGINA SPEKTOR.



But how oh how do these two subjects link? Well, I don't know if you've ever seen Regina live, but if you haven't, you've missed out on observing one of the most interesting people that exist in all the land. There are so many conversations that she had with the crowd which I wish I could re-tell, but I couldn't possibly, because nobody can communicate quite like Regina. But I'll at least give you one (my favourite) example, not only to satisfy your curiosity, but to explain to you the link between my seemingly irrelevant introductory story and babble about Regina Spektor's crowd conversations.

Okay, so picture this: Mrs Spektor is presenting the audience with a performance far beyond their expectations. You can tell because nobody is talking, barley anyone is even singing along. No, everyone is just staring at the stage in awe of this magical musical masterpiece being created right before their eyes. Suddenly, there is a small spitting noise. A little strange, but nobody really takes notice. Then, the music stops. Regina spits her hair out of her mouth, angrily tosses it behind her back and says in her almost-whisper-American-with-slight-Russian-accent speaking voice, "Sometimes I just want to cut off all of my fucking hair". Then she returns to the piece.



I love Regina a lot.

x